This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement.
Awesome Clam And Spicy Chorizo Pasta
Clam and Spicy Chorizo Pasta Tomato, Garlic, and Virgin Olive Oil Sauce Shaved Reggiano Parmigiano Spring Onions
How To Make Clam And Spicy Chorizo Pasta With Tomato Sauce
Everyone loves a good pasta dish, just like this clam and spicy chorizo pasta. There is nothing better than flavorful spicy chorizo sausage, fresh clams, and a rich tomato pasta sauce.
This awesome recipe is great for those who like to spice things up with some chorizo sausage. With the right ingredients and tools, you’ll be cooking and eating this clam and chorizo pasta dish in as little as 30 minutes.
The oils and fats that leak out of the chorizo when heated are like gold. Adding the raw chorizo into the sauce and cooking it out captures all those amazing oils and fats. This adds a professional finish to the sauce that will get everyone talking.
How Do You Make Pasta Sauce From Scratch?
Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and slowly warm, add the onions and garlic, and sweat until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato paste and cook out for 2 – 3 minutes.
Sweating the onions and garlic in warm olive oil will impart flavor to the olive oil. The onions and garlic will become soft and rich in flavor.
Core and cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes. Place into a bowl and cover with boil water, let stand for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Remove the tomato from the water and the skin should just slide off. Quarter the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and dice.
This is the best way to peel tomatoes, removing the skins will stop your sauce from having stringy bits of cooked tomato skin.
Add the diced tomatoes into the pan along with the sliced chorizo and slowly cook for 15-20 minutes, season to taste with Himalayan pink salt.
One Way I Love Using Reggiano Parmigiano Cheese
Reggiano Parmigiano cheese is one of my all-time favorite cheeses to cook with. I love its rich, nutty flavor and the way it takes dishes to the next level.
Finishing my clam and chorizo pasta with Reggiano Parmigiano is like the icing on the cake, it just finishes it off nicely. The key to finishing any pasta dish is using quality hard cheese and using a Microplane to grate it.
When it comes to adding the finishing touches and flavor to pasta dishes, there are few ingredients that can beat Reggiano Parmigiano cheese. Using parmesan cheese is a gift so don’t waste it.
Clams: A Delicious And Underappreciated Seafood
Clams are sweet and delicious when just steamed open and eaten straight away. They are also a great source of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin B12.
Clams taste especially good when they’re served with fettuccine or linguine pasta tossed in tomato, garlic, and virgin olive oil sauce. To make this dish even better add shaved Reggiano Parmigiano oven to the top.
When you harvest clams from the ocean, they often contain sand and other debris inside their shells. By soaking the clams in fresh water, you can help to remove some of this sand and grit before cooking.
This helps to reduce the chances of having a sandy gritty texture when eating them. Nothing worse than eating clams with sand and grit inside them.
How Do You Cook Clams?
There are a few different ways when you’re cooking clams, the most popular way is to steam them. First heat a pan or skillet that has a lid.
Place in the clams and add 1 cup of white wine, Savon blanc or Chardonnay are excellent varietals to use. Add 2-3 cloves of crushed fresh garlic, fresh chili, or chili flakes.
Place on the lid and steam for 2-3 minutes or until they just start to open and remove the lid. As they open remove them from the skillet.
Another awesome way to cook clams is baking them over hot coals on a barbecue. Place them onto a rack over the hot coals and watch them open
Larder Stables And Must Have Kitchen Tools
Essential Kitchen Tools – Must Haves
You can’t be at a professional level in the kitchen unless you own a variety of high-end tools. Genius kitchen gadgets are an essential part of any home cook’s or aspiring chef’s arsenal. From some of the best chef knives, and kitchen cookware, to wooden cutting boards. These will set you apart from others and get you ready with what you need to start making meals like a chef.
My Professional Recommendations
Awesome Clam And Spicy Chorizo Pasta
Tomato, Garlic And Virgin Olive Oil Pasta Sauce
- ¼ cup Olive oil - extra virgin
- 1 each Brown onion - finely diced
- 5 cloves Garlic - crushed
- 100 grams Tomato paste
- 3 each Tomatoes - peeled and chopped
- 180 grams Chorizo
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 kg New Zealand clams - chardonnay or riesling
- 2 cups White wine
Pasta And Condiments
- 300 grams Fettuccine - fresh
- Reggiano Parmigiano - grated
- Green onion - thinly sliced
Tomato, Garlic and Virgin Olive Oil Pasta Sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large pan and slowly warm, add the onions and garlic, sweat until the onions are translucent.Add the tomato paste and cook out for 2 – 3 minutes.
Peeling and Dicing Tomatoes
- Core and cut across in the bottom of the tomato. Place into a bowl and cover with boil water, let stand for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove the tomato from the water and the skin should just slide off.
- Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds, dice.
- Add the diced tomatoes into the pan along with the sliced chorizo and slowly cook for 10-15 minutes, season to taste with Himalayan pink salt.
Cleaning Your Clams
- The best way to clean clams is to submerge them in cold fresh water for two-three hours. This will force them to clean themselves out in the process they will flush out any sand inside.Next scrub them under cold running water.
Cooking The Clams
- Heat a pan with a tight-fitting lid, add the clams, pour in the wine, place on the lid, and bring to a boil.The clams should start to open in 2 – 3 minutes, take them out as they open and add into the pasta sauce, add a little of the clam stock.At the same time cook the pasta.
Cooking The Fettuccine
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add a good tablespoon of salt, and place in the fresh pasta.The pasta should only take 3 – 5 minutes when just cooked drain well and add to the pasta sauce, toss well.
Serving Your Clam And Spicy Chorizo Pasta
- Place the pasta into a warm bowl, add some deliciously sweet clams and spicy chorizo.Next, grate a little fresh Reggiano Parmigiano Parmesan onto it with your micro-plane while you’re at it!Finally, top with thinly sliced green onions for that extra pop of flavor before drizzling over more virgin olive oil.Now we have ourselves an Italian dish worthy enough for our most discerning guests!
Serving Size: Clam and chorizo pasta with homemade tomato sauce and fresh fettuccine.
Calories 558 | Total Fat 28.4 g | Carbohydrates 31.3 g | Fiber 1.3 g | Protein 38 g | Iron 14.4 mg
Enjoy This Recipe With Your Family And Friends
Enjoy this clam and chorizo pasta recipe with family and friends also have as much fun as I did cooking it.
It’s one of my favorite dishes to cook because it’s simple with complex flavors. It has a little bit of heat from the chorizo, but not too much that it would blow your taste buds apart or make it heavy in your stomach.
The clams and virgin olive oil tomato sauce do an excellent job at keeping everything well-balanced while still being hearty without being overpowering.
This pasta dish is also incredibly easy to cook up so if you are looking for something delicious yet simple, give my clam and spicy chorizo pasta a try!