This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement.
Delicious Sweet Potato Salad
Delicious sweet potato salad with cherry tomatoes, English radishes, and fresh herb sour cream.
Sweet potatoes are known in New Zealand as Kūmara. When it comes to summertime cookouts, there are usually a few staples that everyone expects to see on the table. Burgers, hot dogs, steaks, and chicken are all common choices, but why not mix things up with a delicious sweet potato salad?
This dish is easy to make and awesome for any gathering. Plus, it’s a great way to use up those extra sweet potatoes you might have in your pantry. Ready to get started? Keep reading for instructions on how to make your own savory sweet potato salad.
Tips On How To Make Sweet Potato Salad
Cooking a delicious and nutritious salad doesn’t have to be a complicated stressed-out affair, cooking should be fun. Tips for making a delicious sweet potato salad is to bake the sweet potatoes in their skins, with some fresh rosemary then peel and dice them.
Adding texture with ingredients like English radishes, cherry tomatoes, and shallots. Incorporating sour cream, feta, or plain yogurt introduces another flavor layer that complements the sweet potato.
Fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or mint are excellent partners for sweet potatoes and they’re easy to combine into your salad by finely chopping or mixing them into sour cream or plain yogurt. This will act as a dressing or sauce for the salad. Removing the dairy from the salad will make a great vegan sweet potato salad recipe.
What to put on a sweet potato to make it taste good?
Sweet potatoes are so versatile they can be used in savory and sweet dishes. Are you looking for ways to make your sweet potatoes taste good?
Brown sugar and cinnamon: This is a classic combination that always tastes good. Just sprinkle some brown sugar on top of your sweet potato before baking, and then sprinkle with cinnamon when it comes out of the oven. Yum!
Chili flakes and honey: Another classic combo – this time with a little bit of heat! Try drizzling honey over them halfway through the cooking process and sprinkling chili flakes on top of your finished sweet potato salad.
What are Kūmara and are they any different from sweet potatoes?
I get asked all the time “what are Kūmara and are they any different from sweet potatoes”?
Kūmara is the name for sweet potato in New Zealand, there are 3 varieties that are native to my country. They are the red-skinned Kūmara which have white creamy flesh.
Golden Kūmara with their golden skin and rich golden flesh which is sweeter than the red. Lastly, the orange Kūmara has a savory slightly sweet flavor and is perfect for salads.
Larder Stables And Must Have Kitchen Tools
Essential Kitchen Tools – Must Haves
You can’t be at a professional level in the kitchen unless you own a variety of high-end tools. Genius kitchen gadgets are an essential part of any home cook’s or aspiring chef’s arsenal. From some of the best chef knives, and kitchen cookware, to wooden cutting boards. These will set you apart from others and get you ready with what you need to start making meals like a chef.
My Professional Recommendations
Delicious Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 each Large sweet potatoes - Beauregard aka orange Kūmara
- 2 sprigs Fresh rosemary
- drizzle Rice bran or vegetable oil
- Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12-15 each Cherry tomatoes - cut in half
- 5-6 each English radish - Thinly sliced
- drizzle Olive oil - extra virgin
Herb Sour Cream
- ½ cup Sour cream
- Fresh rosemary and thyme - finely chopped
Baking The Sweet Potato
- Preheat the oven to 180° C or 356° F.Wash and dry the sweet potatoes pierce the skin, season with Himalayan pink salt, freshly ground black pepper, and drizzle over the rice bran or vegetable oil.Place the fresh sprigs of rosemary over the top and place them into the oven for 30 minutes.They should be soft in the center, let them stand for 5 minutes then peel and dice. Place into a clean bowl.
Herb Sour Cream
- Mix the fresh herbs with the sour cream, season with Himalayan pink salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Constructing The Salad
- Add the finely sliced radishes and halved cherry tomatoes to the same bowl as the sweet potato.Season with Himalayan pink salt, and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle over the extra virgin olive oil.Mix well, place the salad into your favorite serving dish and spoon over the herb sour cream.
Serving Size: 150g Sweet Potato Salad.
Calories 279 | Total Fat 16.5 g | Carbohydrates 30.2 g | Fiber 5.2 g | Protein 3.0 g | Iron 0.9 mg
Are You Looking For A New And Exciting Salad?
Another new salad to add to your summer cookout repertoire. Ready to get started making this delicious sweet potato salad? It’s easy to do.
Simply follow the recipe above, and you’ll be able to wow your friends and family with a dish that is both tasty and nutritious.
You can leave out the sour cream for an excellent vegan sweet potato salad.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, Vitamin A, and potassium, so this salad is perfect for any summer gathering. Give this delicious sweet potato salad a try today!