This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement.
Korean BBQ Chicken Wings
Korean BBQ Chicken Wings Marinated In Bulgogi Sauce, Cooked Over Hot Coals With Green Onion, Pickled Cucumber, and Jalapeños
If you are looking for an exciting new dinner idea you need to try my Korean bbq chicken wings recipe. These babies are sweet, sticky, and so addicting. Plus, they’re easy to make at home.
The best thing is I’m using a Korean marinade for these bbq bulgogi chicken wings. You need to try my Korean bbq chicken wings recipe or you’ll be missing out on an amazing culinary experience.
Korean bbq chicken wings are some of the most delicious that I have ever eaten. They are perfectly made and have become world-famous! I have traveled to South Korea many times and every time I go, I make sure to eat these amazing chicken wings.
They are definitely a must-try for anyone visiting South Korea. The combination of the sweet and savory sauce with the succulent chicken is just heavenly. I could eat these chicken wings all day! If you’re ever in South Korea, be sure to try out some amazing bbq chicken wings. You won’t regret it!
Making Your Own Korean Chicken Marinade
You can make your own Korean chicken marinade. It’s simple to smash together and tastes delicious. Plus, you can customize it to your liking. So give it a try and see how it compares to the Bulgogi sauce.
- ½ nashi pear aka Asian pear or kiwifruit – peeled and diced
- 2 spring onions aka scallions – finely sliced
- ½ onion – diced
- 4 Tbsp dark soy
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger – peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp sake or rice wine aka mirin
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Place the nashi pear, spring onions, onion, dark soy, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, rice wine, and pepper into a blender. Blend to a smooth paste, it will be thin, so don’t worry. Remove to a bowl and stir in the sesame oil and sesame seeds.
Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Leave some of the marinade to one side to use for basting when cooking the chicken wings.
How do you get sauce to stick to wings on the grill?
There are a few things you can do to make sure your sauce sticks to your chicken wings on the BBQ. Make sure you keep some marinade to one side.
Firstly marinate the wings in the bulgogi bbq sauce and make sure the marinade evenly coats the wings. Make sure you keep some marinade to one side. Secondly, your bbq should be hot, if your using hot coals they should be white or glowing red in the center.
Finally, place the wings onto the bbq slightly away from the hot coals while they are cooking bast the wings with the leftover marinade and turn them often. This will create a glossy sticky coating on the chicken wings that will have the most delicious taste.
Should You Boil Your Wings Before Grilling?
There’s no right or wrong answer to this question – it really depends on your personal preferences. Some people like to boil their wings before grilling, as it can help create a crispier skin. Others prefer not to boil them, as they feel it makes the wings more dried out.
Boiling the wings also has the added benefit that they won’t need to stay on the grill too long. However, boiling before grilling makes it harder for the marinade to penetrate the cooked chicken meat and can increase your chances of the wings overcooking and drying out.
I prefer to grill my Korean BBQ chicken wings that way the juices are locked in and they’re always juicy, sticky, and delicious.
Larder Stables And Must Have Kitchen Tools
Essential Kitchen Tools – Must Haves
You can’t be at a professional level in the kitchen unless you own a variety of high-end tools. Genius kitchen gadgets are an essential part of any home cook’s or aspiring chef’s arsenal. From some of the best chef knives, and kitchen cookware, to wooden cutting boards. These will set you apart from others and get you ready with what you need to start making meals like a chef.
My Professional Recommendations
Korean BBQ Chicken Wings
Chicken Wing Marinade
- 24 each Chicken wings
- ½ jar Galbi sauce
Fresh Pickled Cucumbers
- ½ each Cucumber - telegraph
- 1 each Spring onion aka Scallions
- 1 each Green pepper
- ¼ cup Olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
Marinating The Wings
- Place the chicken wings into a bowl I work on 6 per person however you can do more – which you should, they are so delicious!Pour the Galbi sauce over the wings, mix well and place into the fridge for 30 minutes. You can marinate them for up to an hour. Any longer and the texture of the chicken starts to break down, this is due to the tenderizing properties of the sauce.
BBQ The Chicken Wings
- While the wings are marinating crank up your bbq, I'm using a kettle charcoal bbq. Place the wings around the hot coals and place the lid on. Bbq for 30 minutes turn them and bbq for 30 minutes more.To check if they are cooked you can use a meat temperature probe. If you don't have a charcoal or gas bbq don't worry, you can cook them in the oven. Just preheat the oven to 160°C or 320°F and cook for 30-40 minutes.
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- Half the cucumber lengthways and evenly dice, slice the spring onions, deseed and dice the green pepper, and dice the pickled Jalapeños, place them all into a bowl.Add the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, mix well cover and leave at room temperature until the chicken wings are ready to be served.
- When the wings are cooked place them onto a plate, spoon over the pickled vegetable, and garnish with fresh sage leaves. You can also you fresh thyme or rosemary as well.
Serving Size: 6 BBQ chicken wings, freshly pickled cucumber salad.
Calories 520 | Total Fat 32.4 g | Carbohydrates 7.2 g | Fiber 0.8 g | Protein 44.9 g | Iron 2.2 mg
My Enjoyment For Your Benefit And Value
If you have never tried Korean BBQ chicken wings before, you are in for a real treat. These delicious little morsels are some of the best that I have ever eaten.
Whether you’re looking for an exciting new dinner option or simply want to try something different, this Korean BBQ chicken wings recipe is a great choice. So go ahead and give them a try – you won’t be disappointed!
They are sweet, sticky, and so addicting that you will want to make them again and again. Plus, they are easy to make at home, so there is no excuse not to try this amazing Korean BBQ chicken wings recipe today!