This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement.
Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad with Black Truffle Mayo
Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad with Black Truffle Mayo, Cherry Tomatoes, and Fresh Garden Herbs
Looking for a delicious, nutritious salad? This roasted beetroot and feta salad with black truffle mayo is just what you’ve been looking for! The earthy sweetness of the roasted beets pairs perfectly with the savory, tangy feta and the black truffle mayo adds a delicious richness. It’s easy to make and can be tailored to your own taste preferences.
This is an easy beetroot and feta salad to make, excellent for a weekend lunch, and also great as leftovers between 2 pieces of bread. The awesome thing about this salad is the only cooking is the roasted beetroot. You can make the truffle mayo from scratch or if you want to save time, buy quality store brought mayo, and add truffle paté.
Roasted beetroot salad with feta is an absolutely fantastic salad idea, these partners were made for each other. This is a really great salad to quickly throw together, if you don’t have time you can use canned beetroot, drain off the liquid and sauté in a pan.
When I was working in a French kitchen in the late nineties, we used black truffles. We would add one to a basket of eggs as the aroma was so powerful, with the eggshells being porous the truffle would impart an amazing flavor into the eggs.
If you want the best eggs you’ve ever had, buy a black truffle and place it into a basket with some eggs. Black truffles are that mysterious subterranean fungus that lives in symbiosis with certain trees mainly the oak but also the chestnut, hazel, and beech.
The highly prized foodstuff is rounded of variable size with an irregular shape, and black, dark brown, or sometimes grey or white in color. They are found especially in chalky soil or clay, quite near the surface less than 12 inches deep or 30 cm.
France is famous for its truffles, but production has greatly declined since the beginning of the 20th century. Before 1914 some 1800 tons were harvested each year in Périgord alone but now lucky if there are 200 lbs. This would explain why there has been a steady decline in the liberal use of truffles in recipes today.
Also the price of truffles – you can pay upwards of one hundred dollars or more per pound or 500 grams. This is why they are named the “diamond of cookery” or “earth gems”.
You can buy black truffles in different forms, whole, sliced in oil or juice, truffle oil, truffle paste or paté, and even truffle salt. Truffle paté is excellent for making truffle mayo, which is amazing with a beetroot and feta salad, it takes the salad to another level!
Truffles go well with potatoes, beef, roasted chicken, shaved and mixed with butter to make compound butter, as a decedent salad component, and eggs. Truffle crumbs will give your sauces a flavor boost that will have everyone talking.
What protein goes with beets?
Beetroot and feta salad is a great garnish or side dish to serve with juicy steaks, roasted lamb leg, and grilled or roasted chicken. The sweetness of the beets and the savory feta pair well with these proteins.
Is beetroot salad good for you?
Yes, a beet salad can be good for you! Beetroot is a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It also contains nitrates, which can help lower blood pressure. Feta cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. Together, these ingredients make a nutritious and satisfying beetroot and feta salad.
Food Is Very Subjective
What I like, you might not, and vice versa. Different people have different taste buds – some overly savory flavor orientated. Others are at the other end of the scale. Some people may want overly spicy, sour, or sweet flavor notes.
There is a cultural aspect that is sometimes overlooked, Halal and Kosher are two that come to mind. Allergens in today’s world are trending where people make an informed or uninformed lifestyle choice to remove allergens from their diet, gluten, dairy or soy are good examples.
Then there are the people who if they eat a certain food group like peanuts or crustaceans (shellfish) both these foods can induce Anaphylaxis: A life-threatening reaction. Adequate treatment for anaphylaxis can save lives.
If you suspect that you or anyone are experiencing a severe allergic reaction, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include but are not limited to hives, difficulty breathing, and sudden weakness or confusion.
Getting to the point the quantities in this recipe are only a guideline, you can add more or less of any ingredient or omit something altogether. However in saying that for the best flavor profile and micro-nutrients it is recommended that you follow the recipe and don’t remove too many ingredients.
Larder Stables And Must Have Kitchen Tools
Essential Kitchen Tools – Must Haves
You can’t be at a professional level in the kitchen unless you own a variety of high-end tools. Genius kitchen gadgets are an essential part of any home cook’s or aspiring chef’s arsenal. From some of the best chef knives, and kitchen cookware, to wooden cutting boards. These will set you apart from others and get you ready with what you need to start making meals like a chef.
My Professional Recommendations
Recipe Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad
- 1 EACH Beetroot large - peeled
- 250 grams Cherry tomatoes
- 120 grams Cows feta
- 1-2 sprigs Fresh rosemary, thyme, and mint
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil - extra virgin
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
Black Truffle Mayonnaise
- 1 each egg - yolk only
- 1 tbsp Black truffle patѐ or truffle paste - optional – replace with Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Vinegar - white or white wine
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- ¼-½ cup neutral-tasting oil - rice bran
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.Cut the peeled beetroot into 2–3 cm dice, place onto aluminum foil, drizzle with virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the beetroot loosely in the foil. Place into the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes. The beetroot should be soft, carefully open the foil and let the beetroot cool slightly.
Black Truffle Mayonnaise
- The easiest way to make mayo is with a tall plastic container and a stick blender with a whisk attachment.Add the egg yolk, black truffle patѐ, salt, and white wine vinegar to the container.
- Start whisking, SLOWLY start adding the oil.When the mayonnaise starts to emulsify you can start adding the oil in a steady drizzle until the mayo is thick and glossy. Don’t have time or using raw eggs is not an option, you can use store brought mayonnaise and just add black truffle patѐ.CHEFS TIP:If the mayo starts to split while you are adding the oil, don’t stress just add another egg yolk to a clean bowl with a teaspoon of water.Start whisking and start slowly adding the split mayo until it starts to emulsify, then continue adding the rest of the oil.
Plating Your Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and crumble up the feta.
- Wash and dry the fresh herbs, with a spoon spread the black truffle mayo onto the plate and scatter the beetroot, cherry tomatoes, and feta onto the plate.
- Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and drizzle some virgin oil olive over the salad. It Is that easy.
Serving Size: 80g Beetroot, feta, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, and black truffle mayo.
Calories 197 | Total Fat 11.4 g | Carbohydrates 18.7 g | Fiber 4.4 g | Protein 6.7 g | Iron 1.3 mg
How To Make Mayonnaise Step By Step
Want to know how to make mayonnaise? I’m going to be showing you how you can make really good homemade mayo without any fuss. A super simple process that requires just five ingredients! Perfect for your roasted beetroot feta salad.
Simple Beetroot Salad With Feta
I created the simple beetroot salad with feta for your enjoyment, I have fun doing it. After cooking in manic fast pasted environments, cooking at home is relaxing and therapeutic. If I can add value to your life, giving you ideas for breakfast, lunch, or dinner even children’s meals I will have achieved what I set out to do.
This beetroot and feta salad is a colorful and flavorful way to spruce up your next meal. This simple beetroot salad is perfect for summer barbecues or as a side dish for a hearty winter meal. Beetroot and feta are a classic combination, and the addition of rich truffle mayo and fresh herbs makes this salad even more irresistible.
If you’re looking for a delicious, nutritious salad to add some variety to your meal plan, look no further than this roasted beetroot and feta salad with black truffle mayo. The earthy sweetness of the roasted beets pairs perfectly with the savory, tangy feta and the black truffle mayo adds a delicious richness.
It’s easy to make and can be tailored to your own taste preferences. Give my beetroot and feta salad a try for your next meal!