This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement.
Sweet Potato And Black Bean Salad Wrap
Sweet Potato and Black bean Salad Wrap with sweet potato and black bean salad, Chickpeas, avocado, red peppers, Shallots, fresh chili, coriander, mint, and sour cream.
Sweet potato or as it’s called in New Zealand Kumara is an awesome combo. Healthy nutrition and believe it or not my teenage sons love them. Yeah I know go figure, well I’m happy keeps them healthy and it’s easy to make.
Plant-based meals using fresh herbs and an array of vegetables are so delicious. These days vegetables are so expensive, regardless there are ways to save on fresh produce without sacrificing quality or flavor.
Using fresh herbs in your everyday cooking can add so much flavor and color to your food. And you don’t really need to do much. I also add fresh chilies and shallots these both add texture, heat, and color to the dish.
If you’re looking for an easy vegetarian recipe that the family will love this is the recipe for you. This isn’t hard to make, it looks colorful and delicious and you can use taco shells or tortillas. There are no rules when creating this dish so add anything you like.
How Long Can A Salad Wrap Last In The Fridge?
Here’s the deal with salad wraps, they’re delicious, but they’re also delicate. That means that once you’ve made them, you need to eat them pretty quickly or store them properly. Otherwise, you run the risk of food poisoning.
So, how long can a salad wrap last in the fridge? The answer is, that it depends… If your wrap has pork, chicken, or fish in it, then you should eat it within 2 days. If it’s vegetarian, you’ve got a little more time 3 days maximum. After that, the risk of food poisoning goes up dramatically.
So, while a salad wrap might be fine to eat after 3 days in the fridge, I wouldn’t recommend it. The easiest thing is to make them and eat them straight away.
Do Wraps Need To Be Heated?
Most wraps should be heated before eating. Heating them will make them more flexible and easier to roll, and it will also improve the flavor and texture. Although you can eat many wraps cold, I find that they taste much better when heated.
Larder Stables And Must Have Kitchen Tools
Essential Kitchen Tools – Must Haves
You can’t be at a professional level in the kitchen unless you own a variety of high-end tools. Genius kitchen gadgets are an essential part of any home cook’s or aspiring chef’s arsenal. From some of the best chef knives, and kitchen cookware, to wooden cutting boards. These will set you apart from others and get you ready with what you need to start making meals like a chef.
My Professional Recommendations
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Wrap
Black Bean Mix
- 300 grams Dried Mexican black beans - no time, use canned
- 300 grams Dried chickpeas - no time, use canned
- 2 each Sweet potatoes aka kumara - peeled and diced
- 1 each Red pepper aka capsicum - seeds removed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 each Shallots - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 each Tomatoes - diced
- 2 each Avocados
- Iceberg lettuce - sliced
- Cilantro aka coriander
- 2 each Red Mexican cayenne chilies
- 4 each Square wraps
- 200 grams Sour cream
- Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rice bran or vegetable oil
Black Beans and Chickpeas
- In separate bowls place the black beans and chickpeas, cover with water, and place into the fridge overnight.The next day drain off the water, place the chickpeas and black beans into separate pots add a pinch of salt, and cover with water.Bring to the boil and simmer until they are soft. They should easily be crushed under a spoon.When they are done, drain them well and put them to one side.
Sweet Potato and Black Beans
- Heat a heavy-based pan add oil and place in the diced sweet potato, sauté, until they just start to brown.Add in the black beans and chickpeas, sauté them for 5 minutes, add in the garlic and sliced red peppers, sauté for 2 – 3 minutes more.Turn down the heat and leave for 10 minutes, make sure you stir every 2 – 3 minutes so it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan.Season the sweet potato and black bean mix with salt and pepper, this should be done to taste.Don’t just add in a load of salt without tasting first.
- To construct the wrap, place the wraps onto 4 plates and spoon on in even portions the sweet potato and black bean mix.You can now start building your wraps by adding the diced tomatoes, sliced lettuce, sliced shallots, you can either slice or break up the avocado.Sprinkle over the fresh mint and fresh coriander you can finish off by spooning on the sour cream around the outside.Garnish with the fresh sliced chili and some freshly cracked black pepper. You can make this dish vegan by omitting the sour cream. Your choice, you can wrap them up into neat little parcels or serve them as they are.I prefer to serve them as they are, these are excellent to make for a weekend lunch or a weeknight easy dinner.The sweet potato and black beans with chickpeas add lots of vegetable protein.The fresh vegetables, sour cream, and chili bring that fresh, juicy, savory, and spicy element to the dish.
My Enjoyment For Your Benefit And Value
I create these dishes for your enjoyment, I have fun doing it. After cooking in manic fast pasted environments, cooking at home is relaxing and therapeutic.
If I can add value to your life, giving you ideas for breakfast, lunch, or dinner even children’s meals I will have achieved what I set out to do. All the ingredients in this recipe you can find at your local whole foods or grocery store.
I always try to use organic, free-range, or ethically farmed products, the traceability of the product is also important to me. This usually has a story behind it that I can pass on to my family, friends, customers, and you.
Try this recipe and I hope you enjoy cooking and eating it as much as we did. I believe that recipes are worth nothing until you share them. Let me know how you got on with this sweet potato and black bean wrap, also what you think of the flavor.